Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Babies, Babies Everywhere

One of the highlights of my April (other than the many days of chicken for Passover), was attending the ICAN (International Cesarean Awareness Network) Conference with my mom. My mom just started getting involved with ICAN in the last year, even though her cesarean was over five years ago, but we have a lot of fun going to the meetings. There are always lots of babies there. And I am the king of the babies. It's the only place I go where there are people smaller than me, so it's nice to be able to have that feeling.

Anyway, the ICAN conference happens every two years and this year it was in St. Louis, so it made sense to go. It was awesome! I never knew so many babies could be in the same place at the same time. There were walking babies, sleeping babies, rolling babies, and even eating babies. Wait, that sounds bad.  Babies were eating, not being eaten--sorry for the confusion. Anyhoo, We Had FUN! Our moms listened to people talk, like Pam England of Birthing from Within, and Gail Tully from Spinning Babies, but us babies had the real fun. See, when we cry or make random noises, we're actually conversing with each other, but our conversations are too complex for adults to understand. We talked about people's outfits, their hair, who was in the coolest baby carrier (me, of course, because my mom made it--also, she made one for the silent auction there and it went for about $100!). It was sad when the conference was over and everyone had to go home. I'll see some of my baby friends at the monthly meeting next week, but it won't be the same.

So, that was that. If you've had a cesarean or you're interested in birth or you're concerned about the fact that 1 in 3 births in this country is by cesarean, then please check out ICAN. Read some birth stories, get some facts. You'll be glad you did. And if you go to a meeting, you'll get to see lots of babies!
I am on my way to the next ICAN meeting.  C Ya There!

2 comments:

  1. I clicked on your ICAN link and it said it's been banned! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's weird. It worked fine when I did it, but I know they've been having some website issues. Here's the direct address: http://ican-online.org/

    ReplyDelete