Sunday, February 24, 2013

And Nosh Some Hamantaschen

Hamantaschen (or "cookies," as I call them) are a wondrous thing. Especially when your mom and sisters love you so much that they make Samoa-like hamantaschen (here's the recipe--easy and delicious)...and make them during the two-day snow day in which all six of us were stuck in the house. Amira almost didn't make it out of that experience, but we don't like to talk about that. Let's just say, one snow day is a beautiful thing. Two snow days is pushing it. At least we had Plants vs. Zombies to keep us busy. Many zombies were killed. Many brains were eaten. Many trains were thrown at my sisters' heads when it was not my turn on the computer.

But, back to Purim, that's what this post is supposed to be about. I think this was the first year that we all actually enjoyed it. Usually at least one of us is too scared by all the cheering for Mordecai and the booing for Haman and we end up sitting out in the hallway crying that it was too loud. This year was different because during the booing, a dude dressed up like Haman ran around the stage throwing candy at the kids. If projectile candy is involved, I can handle some booing.

I also discovered cotton candy at the Purim Carnival. You can read more about that on my Twitter feed (and become one of my followers while you're there!). My new-found addiction was supported by my bros Paul and Jordan (who are both my friends and sometime babysitters). They were running the snack table and since my parents wouldn't keep buying me more tickets, they were sneaking me contraband goods. They can babysit me any time they want. Just bring the cotton candy machine.

So, that's my take on Purim. Keep the candy flowing and make awesome 'taschen.


I finally wore my Emily costume! (I was also Spiderman.)



On a side note, my dad was cleaning out some boxes from his parents' house and found the program from his preschool graduation. Now we know why he can't spell--he never had a chance.


No comments:

Post a Comment