Monday, September 13, 2010

Happy Birthday Daddy! (plus some other random things)

On Friday my dad turned the big 3-0, or as my mom likes to say, he had his second 29th birthday. (She's a dork, I know. We've got a lot of dorkiness to overcome in this family.) We spent the day as most people would want to celebrate their 30th birthday--at synagogue. First there were Rosh Hashanah children's services to lead--Dad led the big kids and Mom led the little kids. I actually got to participate in the services on the second day of Rosh Hashanah, instead of just being abandoned in the babysitting room. I kept everyone entertained by eating the stuffed Torahs in my stroller. There's no better way to ring in the new year than to eat a stuffed Torah. Then, after services, there was a luncheon, which my family catered (they do all the catering at our synagogue, led by my Nana). I actually slept through the luncheon as my silent protest against their use of unpaid child labor. Apparently they make my sisters fill water pitchers, put bentschers out on the tables, and frost cupcakes--and they don't get paid for any of this work! I'm not going to have anything to do with this.

The rest of the day was uneventful, though I know Dad enjoyed getting to spend his whole birthday with his family instead of having to go to work. Until it was cake time... My sisters spent hours slaving over the hot oven to make a wonderful-looking cake for Dad. I say "wonderful-looking" because...and this is the tragedy of the day...no one let me try it! They used a whole jar of frosting, two whole jars of sprinkles, and mini Reese's cups to decorate the cake, and all I got to do was look at it and drool! I do drool all the time, so that was nothing new and different, but it looked like the best cake ever. And not even a crumb for me! Just wait until my birthday...if they think they're getting any of my cake, they've got another thing coming.

Again, sorry for the long absence--now we're back in business!
Happy birthday Dad!

1 comment:

  1. Love it. Shana tova and Happy Birthday! And you're welcome to starting counting backwards next year like I'll be doing (next year 29, the following year 28...) It could work :)
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete