Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Stupid People

Now, I'm only seven months old, but I know that you're supposed to look both ways before you cross the street. Apparently, many adults have forgotten this--especially in parking lots, where it seems like you should be even more diligent about watching for cars, but that's a whole other story. So, here's my story for today:

Mom and I dropped the girls off at school and then we went grocery shopping. Normally we walk to the grocery store when the girls are at school, but we had tons of stuff to get today (think, no food in the house), so we were driving. The road we take is a small neighborhood road, 30 mph, lots of stop signs. It has a sidewalk on the east side of the street that switches to the west side of the street about halfway down. There is a crosswalk, but there is no stop sign for the cars, so when Mom and I are walking, we stop, look for cars, and then cross when it is safe. Today we were driving, and there was someone running on the sidewalk on the right side of the road. (Now, I didn't actually see this because I was rear-facing in my carseat--as everyone should be until they're AT LEAST one year old AND 20 pounds, but preferably even longer as long as you're within the weight requirements of your carseat--this is just how Mom told me the story.) His back was to us, and he was wearing headphones, so I guess he couldn't hear or see us. When he got to the spot where the sidewalk crosses the street, he didn't slow down, didn't turn his head, just hopped off the sidewalk and crossed the street...just a few feet in front of our car. Luckily, my mom has super Mom-reflexes (really, it's uncanny how fast she can be, especially when it has to do with things I want to put in my mouth) and was able to stop before turning him into a pancake, but it was close. Even as we drove past him, he didn't make any acknowledgment that his stupidity had almost gotten him flattened. Pay attention, people! The world does not revolve around you! It actually revolves around me.

An unrelated stupid person story: Last week were were at Baskin-Robbins picking up the ice cream cakes for Rosh Hashanah services and while we were there, some dude came in and bought an ice cream cone and stayed inside to eat in. We went outside and his car was parked next to ours. The car was still running, with the windows open, blasting some kind of show tunes. While he was inside eating ice cream. Really, you couldn't turn your car off while you went inside? So much for taking care of our environment.

I'm glad I've had these experiences early in my life so I can learn how not to be stupid when I grow up!
That's me in front of my house. Dad was trying to be artistic or something with the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment